Greek Food & Wine Pairing with Chef Sophia Manatakis
Out of stock
Greek Food Demo & Wine Pairing with Chef Sophia Manatakis
Thursday, March 18th at 7 pm | Free
Join us for an amazing cooking demo and wine pairing with Food Network’s Chopped contestant, Chef Sophia Manatakis! Our resident wine expert, Fotios Stamos, will do the honors of pairing Chef Sophia’s exquisite and flavorful dishes.
A little bit about Chef Sophia: Graduate of the French Culinary Institute in New York City and owner of Uncle Nick’s Greek Cuisine, NYC. Sophia is a Greek and Italian-American chef who has appeared on the Food Network’s Chopped and winner of the Family Food Showdown cooking competition. She is also a recipient of the Orthodox Christian Network “30 Under 30 Entrepreneurship Award”. Sophia has recently published Our Greek Kitchen, the first of many cook-calendars, has a thriving catering business, and is a private culinary instructor. Sophia’s intensity and passion for culinary art is unmeasurable.
Chef Sophia will be demonstrating the following recipes along with wines which you can purchase down below.
Here are the recipes:
Beets/Pear poached in Feta Greek Goddess Herb Dressing
paired with Mylonas Rosé
For the Dressing / Salad
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1 tablespoon of dill
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- 1 tablespoon of mint
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of poaching liquid
- Spring Mix or Greens of choice
- 1 tablespoon of chopped pistachios
- 2 cups red wine or rose
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 pear pealed cored and cut in half
- 1 medium sized red beet
- In a small saucepan add two cups of wine and sugar. Bring to a boil. Once the wine comes to a boil lower the heat to simmer and add the beet. Cook until knife tender (about 30 minutes). Let cool, peel and set aside.
- Add the sliced pear and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool in the poaching liquid.
For the dressing:
- Add all of the herbs cheese and poaching liquid inside a food processor. While the motor is running, stream in the olive oil until completely blended, then add in however much water is needed to thin the dressing to your desired consistency.
- In a bowl place the mixed greens and add dressing. Mix well. Serve on a chilled salad plate placing the sliced beets Pears and Chopped pistachios. Topping at the end will make sure the beauty is still intact from the bright red poaching liquid.
Capers Dill Red Onion Kalamata Olives Fennel Dill Oregano Mint Greek Olive oil and (White Wine) Cherry Tomatoes
paired with Santo Assyrtiko
- 6 oz Bronzino Filet (or any white fish)
- 1 Teaspoon of capers
- 5 Pitted Kalamata Olives
- 1/4 cup Sliced Fennel
- 1/3 cup Sliced Red Onion
- 1 Sprig Fresh Oregano
- 3 Mint Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon of Greek extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup White Wine
In the culinary arts, the term en papillote refers to a moist heat cooking method where the food is enclosed in a packet of parchment paper or foil and then cooked in the oven. Delicate foods such as chicken breast or fish may be cooked en papillote as they can be quickly cooked by this steaming.
- Make sure the parchment paper measures about 16″ x 12″ each. Fold each sheet in half, leaving four “envelopes” about 8″ x 12″.
- Open an “envelope” and place one portion of fish in the centre of one side.
- Lay all of the ingredients listed above including the wine and olive oil.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the edges of the parchment with the beaten egg white. Fold the parchment in half to enclose the fish, and press the edges together to seal. Fold or crimp the parchment edges to reinforce the packet. (It’s important to seal the edges properly, to keep the steam in).
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the top of the packet with the vegetable oil to prevent it from burning. Place on a baking tray.
- Set the oven to 350° and bake for 25-30 minutes Depending on the size of the fish fillet. Best served with orzo or wild rice and a glass of chilled Santo Assyrtiko white wine!
Purchase your wines here in time for the webinar, delivered to your door with FREE SHIPPING: